Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My experience in ENG 111


English is my third language. I was expecting a more boring class based only on doing essays, and reading some boring material. Since the first day this class was different; we were waiting for the instructor for 15minutes well he was pretending to be a student, then I realize that this class will be different than any other one I have ever take, and yes it was a journey that was worth to be there.
He was unorthodox in everything he did; maybe because he was young. All the material we use in class was really good and was there for a reason. The class was a really good group we had students that were really young people just out of High School, and people in the late 40s. I think this diversity made the class not boring at all because everyone had a different perspective, point of views, and experiences in live that always kept the class going, and never make it that boring at least not for me. The group had a good participation in every topic. Personally I was expecting to learn to become a better writer and I think I achieved it at least better than I was before. I also learn how to rhetorical analyze everything in life and look for stuff that are hidden to the naked eye; look beyond graphics, text, pictures, movies, etc for what the author really want to deliver to the audience.
We did two presentations in front of everyone in class, kind of public speaking. One with a partner , and the final by ourselves. In my first presentation I did it with another student Oliver; our topic was to rhetorical analyze the song of Bob Dylan “Blowing in the wind” it was a cultural experience because I was not raised in this country , and I found it interesting to do research in a song that was written in the 1960s . The second was a topic that we will do a research paper and the theme I chose was racial profiling in America. I choose the theme because I am part of the minorities, and it was kind of easy doing the research on it.
Other thing we did in class was watch short videos, movies, and documentaries for rhetorical analysis purposes this was kind of cool because the class was not based on the instructor talking all the time instead using different elements to make the class worth to be there. I believe that is a good way of delivering a message to students especially in topic that can be boring when only using a book or typical learning aids.
The group was tight and we had fun learning new and old stuff. The class was very versatile; the instructor was a person that listened to students. The class was a good experience and I will recommend it to anyone it was a trip.

No comments: